A better writer than me already claims the line, "To begin my life with the beginning of my life..." but as with memoirists the world 'round, the sentiment remains. I grew up in Minnesota where I danced and I read and I coped with adolescent traumas and trifles. After four generally happy-yet-forgettable college years, punctuated with six months studying under renowned mathematicians in Budapest and glorious summers tasting tech in the college IT department, I graduated with degrees in Abstract Mathematics (focusing on Number Theory and Complex Analysis because starting the Chess Club in high school didn't label me as a nerd-for-life quite hard enough) and Communication Studies.
After a brief stint working in the insurance industry, I moved to Silicon Valley. I spend a lot of my life talking about various technologies. I love being part of it! But I hope to always make sure that's the least interesting thing about me.
I'm back in Minnesota for the foreseeable future and have never been happier. Even though the air hurts sometimes.
Some interesting things about me:
- I love to read. An entire wall of my house is bookshelves. I like fiction. I usually don't care for non-fiction with a few exceptions. But I really, really adore historical fiction that teaches me things while still keeping my interest with narrative.
- I love video games. Some of my earliest memories involve adoration of the Zelda franchise. I will always be a Nintendo Girl, but I also enjoy open world, third-person games like the Fallout games, the Elder Scrolls games, DragonAge, the more recent Tomb Raiders and Assassins Creeds, No Man's Sky, etc. I have played more hours of Stardew Valley than maybe any other modern game.
- I'm a 200 hour Yoga Alliance certified yoga instructor. I do not teach and I do not want to. I got the certification because I needed a goal to work toward.
- I knit. I mostly do socks these days. I like how they're self-contained and mindless except for a little excitement around the heel. I prefer knitting on DPNs. I almost always knit English style. I don't like my gauge when I knit Continental, and I'm not a good purler when picking the yarn from the left hand. Call me the Dowager Countess. When I knit intarsia I knit with one strand English, one strand Continental and it makes me feel cool. I can crochet but I don't like to. It's not nearly as mathematical as knitting and it just feels like endlessly picking up stitches.
- I spin yarn on a spinning wheel. I have three wheels and a spindle. I like to take raw fiber, process it by hand, dye it, spin it, and knit it. It's my one contribution in the event of the apocalypse.
- I can weave. I don't love to do that. But I have a rigid heddle loom.
- I sew. I make costumes, mostly. I will not fix the hole in your jacket or hem your jeans. You should learn how to sew and do that yourself.
- I hate to cook (but I cook constantly). I love to bake and make candy (but rarely get the opportunity). Making candy makes me feel like a mad scientist or a witch at a cauldron. Cooking makes me feel frazzled and like I have a kitchen to clean up.
- I can read palms.
- I am an Orangetheory Fitness nut. I love to workout. I love to lift heavy weights. Right now, OTF is really working for me.
- I row. In college it would have been called "crew" but once you're a grownup it's called "rowing." I sweep and scull.
- If I could drop all responsibilities and travel around the world, I would. Traveling makes me a better person.
- I wish I could have all the dogs. I do not have similar wishes about cats. I have a pet snake named Sir Hiss but he isn't super affectionate.
- I love Star Wars more than is healthy. I go to Star Wars Celebration every year. I make Star Wars clothes. Not costumes. Just... clothes out of Star Wars fabric. The Last Jedi was a stain on the name of Star Wars. The Rise of Skywalker brilliantly righted so many of The Last Jedi's wrongs. Don't @ me.
- I have watched The West Wing probably over 50 times from beginning to end. I watch it every day. When I'm finished, I start over at the beginning. I have for over 10 years.
- My preferred bedtime is around 8:30pm.
Get In Touch.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies