A better writer than me already claims the line, "To begin my life with the beginning of my life..." but as with memoirists the world 'round, the sentiment remains. I grew up in Minnesota where I danced and I read and I coped with adolescent traumas and trifles. After four generally happy-yet-forgettable college years, punctuated with six months studying under renowned mathematicians in Budapest and glorious summers tasting tech in the college IT department, I graduated with degrees in Abstract Mathematics (focusing on Number Theory and Complex Analysis because starting the Chess Club in high school didn't label me as a nerd-for-life quite hard enough) and Communication Studies.
After a brief stint working in the insurance industry, I moved to Silicon Valley. I spend a lot of my life talking about various technologies. I love being part of it! But I hope to always make sure that's the least interesting thing about me.
Some interesting things about me:
- I love to read. An entire wall of my house is bookshelves and it even has a ladder. That was something I always wanted, since I was a little girl. I like fiction. I usually don't care for non-fiction with a few exceptions. But I really, really adore historical fiction that teaches me things while still keeping my interest with narrative.
- I love video games. Some of my earliest memories involve adoration of the Zelda franchise. I will always be a Nintendo Girl, but I also enjoy open world, third-person games like the Fallout games, the Elder Scrolls games, DragonAge, the more recent Tomb Raiders and Assassins Creeds, No Man's Sky, etc. I have played more hours of Stardew Valley than maybe any other modern game.
- I'm a 200 hour Yoga Alliance certified yoga instructor. I do not teach and I do not want to. I got the certification because I needed a goal to work toward.
- I knit. I mostly do socks these days. I like how they're self-contained and mindless except for a little excitement around the heel. I prefer knitting on DPNs. I almost always knit English style. I don't like my gauge when I knit Continental, and I'm not a good purler when picking the yarn from the left hand. Call me the Dowager Countess. I can crochet but I don't like to. It's not nearly as mathematical as knitting and it just feels like endlessly picking up stitches. I'm about to learn how to spin wool into yarn with my very own spinning wheel!
- I sew. I make costumes. I've recently started designing with a dressform rather than altering commercial patterns.
- I hate to cook (but I cook constantly). I love to bake and make candy (but rarely get the opportunity). Making candy makes me feel like a mad scientist or a witch at a cauldron. Cooking makes me feel frazzled and like I have a kitchen to clean up.
- I can read palms.
- I am an Orangetheory Fitness nut. I love to workout. I love to lift heavy weights. Right now, OTF is really working for me.
- If I could drop all responsibilities and travel around the world, I would. Traveling makes me a better person.
- I wish I could have all the dogs. I do not have similar wishes about cats. I have a pet snake named Sir Hiss but he isn't super affectionate.
- I love Star Wars more than is healthy. I go to Star Wars Celebration every year. I make Star Wars clothes. Not costumes. Just... clothes out of Star Wars fabric. The Last Jedi was a stain on the name of Star Wars. The Rise of Skywalker brilliantly righted so many of The Last Jedi's wrongs. Don't @ me.
- I have watched The West Wing probably over 50 times from beginning to end. I watch it every day. When I'm finished, I start over at the beginning. I have for over 10 years.
- My preferred bedtime is around 8:30pm.